Banking in India
- The first bank established in India was Bank of Hindustan, which was started in 1770. Second was The General Bank of India, which started in 1786.
- The oldest bank still in existence in India is the . It was originated in the Bank of Calcutta in June 1806. Bank of Bengal, Bank of Bombay and Bank of Madras, these three banks merged in 1921 to form the Imperial Bank of India, which was converted as State Bank of India in 1955.
- The first Indian bank to have been started solely with Indian is Punjab National Bank.
- The first Indian bank to open overseas branch is Bank of India. It established a branch in London in 1946.
- The oldest existing Public Sector Bank in India is Bank.
- The first Indian commercial bank owned and managed by Indians is .
- Lala Lajpat Rai was the founder of Punjab National Bank.
- Union Bank of India (UCO) bank was inaugurated by in 1919.
- The was instituted in 1935.
- The first bank in India with an is Canara Bank.
- The first time banks were nationalized in India was on 19 July, 1969.
- Osborne Smith was the first governor of the Reserve Bank.
- CD Desmukh was the first Indian to be the governor of Reserve Bank.
- Savings account system in India was started by Presidency Bank, 1833.
- Bengal Bank, established in 1784, was the first bank to introduce cheque system.
- ICICI Bank was the first Indian bank to provide facility.
- First bank to introduce ATM in India was HSBC in 1987, Mumbai.
- Central Bank of India was the first to introduce .
- ICICI is the first bank to provide mobile ATM.
- has the maximum number of overseas branches.
- When it comes to the total number of maximum branches in the world, State Bank of India holds 2ndPosition.
Bank of Baroda
Bank of India
Central Bank of India
IDBI Bank Limited
Indian Overseas Bank
Oriental Bank of
Punjab & Sind Bank
Punjab National Bank
State Bank of India
Union Bank of India
United Bank of India