· The first coins were minted (made) around 2500 years ago.
· Paper was first used in China over 1000 years ago.
· The first "rupee” was first introduced by Sher Shah Suri. It was based on a ratio of 40 copper pieces (paisa) per rupee.
· Udaya K Dharmalingam is the designer of the Indian rupee Symbol, which was adopted by the Government of India in 2010.
· From 1953, Hindi was displayed prominently on the new notes.
· The Government of India took over the issue of banknotes in 1861 from the Private and Presidency Banks.
· The first series of coins with the Indian rupee symbol was launched on 8 July, 2011.
· The first 1000Rs Note was introduced in 2000.
· The first 20Rs and 5Rs note was introduced in 2001.
· Decimalization started in 1957 and the rupee was divided into 100 Naye Paise.
· Total 15 Languages (Apart from English) are printed in Indian Rupee Note. They are Assamese, Bengali, , Kannada, Kashmiri, Konkani, Malayalam, Marathi, Nepali, Oriya, Panjabi, , Tamil, Telugu and Urdu.
· In India, the first paper was published by Bank of Hindustan in 1770.
· The current series of banknotes stared from 1996 with new series of 10Rs notes.
· are produced in 4 cities: Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Kolkata. The coins produce from each city puts an identification mark under the year of issue. Coins produced in Delhi have a dot mark, Mumbai have diamond mark, Hyderabad have star mark and coin produce from Kolkata have nothing beneath the year.
· were first used in the United States in the 1920’s.
Currency by Countries:
Hong Kong Dollar
South African Rand
United Arab Emirates
United Arab Emirates Dirham
United States Dollar