Indian Movie Timeline and Facts ......
7th July, 1896 Cinema in India at the Watson Hotel in Bombay
1897 Save Dada films first Indian Documentary
1898 Prof. Stevenson brings “first Bioscope” to Calcutta at the Star Theatre
1898 The first film in India “A dancing Scene” was directed by Hiralal Sen
1907 The First Cinema hall “Elphinstone Palace” in India built by J.F. Madan in Calcutta
18th May, 1912 “Shree Pundalik” became the First Theatrical film released in India. Dadasaheb Torne
was the maker of the film.
1912 “Raja Harishchandra” was the first Indian feature
film produced by Dadasaheb Phalke.
3rd May, 1913 “Raja Harishchandra” was released on at
Coronation Cinematograph, Bombay
1914 “Raja Harishcnadra” was the first Indian Film
which was shown in and became First Indian feature film shown Abroad
1918 Indian Cinematograph Act 1918
1920 Baburao Painter became the was the first man to advertise his film “Vatsala Haran”
14th March 1931 First Indian talking film “Alam Ara” released by Ardeshir Irani
1931 “De de khuda ke naam par” was the first song in Indian cinema recorded for “Alam Ara”
1932 “Indra Sabha” released with a record number of 71 songs, highest in any Indian Cinema
1933 First air-conditioned cinema Regal started in Bombay
1937 Film “Sant Tukaram” screened at Venice Film Festival and became the first Indian
film to be screened at an film festival.
1937 First film “KISAN KANYA” released
1946 Chetan Anand's “Neecha Nagar” won the Grand Prize at the first Cannes Film Festival
and became the first Indian film to get international award
1950 “Hanste Aansu” was the first Hindi film released with an “A” Certificate
1951 Formation of Central Film Censors
1952 Filmfare Awards were introduced
1954 National Film Awards were introduced
1982 Bhanu Athaiya becomes the first Indian to win an Oscar for the film Gandhi
· Kamala, was the first heroine in an Indian film with her lead role in Dadasaheb Phalke's second film “Bhasmasur Mohini” produced in 1913.
· Dattatraya Damodar Dabke was the first hero of an Indian film. He acted as Harishchandra in “Raja Harishchandra”.
· The first Indian chain of cinema theaters was owned by the Calcutta J F Madan, who oversaw production of 10 films annually and distributed them throughout the Indian subcontinent.
· The first lady director in India was Begum Fatima Sultana
· Phiroz Shah Mistry was the first Indian music director for the film “Alam Ara”.
· Ramesh Sippy’s Sholay is the only film which has enjoyed 60 golden jubilees
· Satyajit Ray holds the record for the highest number of National awards with 32 wins in various categories.
· Amitabh Bachchan, Kamal Haasan and Mammootty holds the record for the highest number of National awards for Best Actor - 3 awards each
· Shabana Azmi holds the record for the highest number of National awards for Best Actress - 5
· A R Rahman and Ilayaraja jointly hold the record for the highest number of National awards for Best Music Direction - 4
· K. J. Yesudas holds the record for the highest number of National awards for Best Male Playback - 7.