World Heritage Site...
- The World Heritage List includes 962 properties. These include 745 Cultural site, 188 Natural siteand 29 Mixed site properties in 157 Countries.
- World Heritage Site programme was founded with the “Convention Concerning the Protection of World Cultural and Natural Heritage” which was adopted by the General Conference of UNESCO on 16 November 1972.
- Italy has the highest number of World Heritage Site with 47
- In the Year 2000, total 61 Number of Properties Inscribed which is highest in any year till now.
- The Arabian Oryx Sanctuary in Oman is the first site deleted from World Heritage Site list.
- Agra Fort and the Ajanta Caves are the first two sites that come under World Heritage Site in 1983.
- Till now total 29 sites are included under World Heritage Sites. Of these 29 sites, 23 are cultural sites and the other 6 are natural sites.
- The Latest site inscribed in 2012 being the Western Ghats.
1983: Agra Fort, Ellora Caves, Ajanta Caves, Taj Mahal
1984: Monuments at Mahabalipuram, Sun Temple at Konarak
1986: Fatehpur Sikri , Churches and Convents of Goa, Monuments at Hampi, Khajuraho
1987: Great Living Chola Temples, Elephanta Caves, Monuments at Pattadakal
1989: Buddhist Monuments at Sanchi
1993: Humayun's Tomb, Qutb Minar
1999: Mountain Railways of India
2002: Mahabodhi Temple Complex at Bodh Gaya
2003: Rock Shelters of Bhimbetka
2004: Champaner-Pavagadh Archaeological Park, Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus
2007: Red Fort Complex
2010: The Jantar Mantar
1985: Kaziranga National Park, Keoladeo National Park, Manas Wildlife Sanctuary
1987: Sundarbans National Park.
1988: Nanda Devi and Valley of Flowers National Parks.
2012: Western Ghats